Tag Archives: Technology

IBM Using Technology to Improve Water Sustainability

Written by Owain Jones, MBA in Sustainability student at University of Saint Francis Some things that people may take for granted on a day-to-day basis is the availability of freshwater. Our world is made up of massive amounts of water, however, the majority of this is salt water, about 97.5%. The remaining 2.5% is freshwater but only 30% of these freshwater sources are groundwater, the main source of water for human consumption. For a world population that is continually growing and consuming more and more resources, this staggeringly small amount of available freshwater cannot sustain it. This is highlighted by the fact that by 2025, 1.8 billion people will be living in areas with an extremely scarce water supply (UN Water Statistics). Thus, a need is created to be able to better utilize our current freshwater resources and improve the sustainability of these resources. The root of water resource sustainability is water conservation, preached and advocated for all over the world. International Business Machines, most commonly referred to as IBM, has been developing computers and technologies for businesses for many years and has grown into one of the largest companies in the US. Currently, IBM has pushed a business solutions focus that involves analytics,  Continue Reading »

INFOGRAPHIC: Sustainability of Tablets

‘Tis the season for gift giving and electronics are always a top pick.  Tablets are becoming increasingly popular, with 25% of adults in the US using one today, according to uberflip.com.  Compare that with only 4% in 2010 and suddenly the growth curve becomes pretty impressive.  Check out this infographic by uberflip.com that looks at the sustainability of tablets.  The main positive impact:  decline in printing.  The main environmental concern:  an incredible increase in e-waste.  The infographic cites findings by Pike  Research that estimate global e-waste doubling to 25 million tons by 2025.  The good news:  top manufacturers are implementing recycling programs that allow users to trade in their old equipment for discounts on new goods.                                                                                                                                                                 Like infographics?  Check out  Continue Reading »